Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sunrise, Sunset

Sunrise, Sunset!

The sun is setting on a very sick little boy named Donnie Harbeck.  After a 72 hour hold in the ICU at the VA hospital in West LA and then a fourteen day mandatory hold by the state of California, a countless number of psychiatrists, doctors, nurses, social workers and a medical team have put this "Humpty Dumpty" cracked little egg back together again.

Does Donnie suffer from Depression, Paranoid Schizophrenia and/or Bi Polar disease?  The jury is still out deliberating.  While reading the September 2000 Biography magazine, I stumbled on an article "In the Spotlight" about Daryl Hannah.  Page 22.  Daryl Hannah has been "diagnosed borderline autistic, she often retreated into fantasy worlds and films like The Wizard of Oz.  Even today, she's said, she likes to sit in a corner and observe." 

How interesting we thought!  We like to do the same thing.  One of my youngest recollections is sitting in my room and singing, "In my own little corner, in my own little world, I can be whoever I want to be....."
Turns out the final diagnosis is that I have a borderline personality.  Dave Libby was right all the time.

Today is a new day.  The sun rises.  Now I must learn how to live with this disorder while being heavily medicated on three different medications.  My greatest challenge is to make sure that Donnie takes his meds.  As you all know, Donnie hates taking medicine.  I have two choices.  Either, I as John Thomas can take care of Donnie or the state of California will take care of both of us.  We prefer the first option.  We never want to have to go back to the psychiatric ward again.

The sun sets on the nightmare that Donnie has lived in for too many years to mention.

The sun rises on all the new dreams that I encourage Donnie to believe can come to fruition.

What a beautiful day this is going to be!

1 comment: