Tuesday, June 26, 2012

You are the Light of the World


"If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies."  Author Unknown

Change is exactly what Donnie and  I need.  How many times have we been told or have read that "We are the Light of the World"?  Yet our many personalities seem to be trapped in the darkness of one of the chambers in our mind.  At first, I thought it would be best to exterminate or eliminate all the different personalities that exist.  After contemplation and meditation, it now becomes clear that just as I was created to take care of Donnie,  it is also my duty and challenge to take care of the many individuals that Donnie has created.  Donnie has introduced me to Danny, Dolly, Don, Donn, JT, Donald and Donald William Harbeck.  The others are still afraid to meet with me and watch carefully in the shadows of my mind as Donnie and I work together to assure that our desire is to love each one of these fragmented and dissociative personalities.  Someone reading this might think that I am just a compulsive liar or as one psychiatrist stated, "a malingerer".  Think what you may, but as Shakespeare wrote, "To Thine Own Self Be True!"

"The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity." Attributed to GeorgeCarlin

There is a lot of work this worm or this caterpillar needs to do.  Monday and Wednesday we go to a Bipolar support group.  Tuesday is Meditation class and Dual Diagnosis support group and Depression support.  Thursday there are two other support meetings we attend.  Three therapisst have been contacted to help us learn how to manage and cope with mental illness while we journey towards mental wellness.  Between the VA clinic, Casa Esperanza and the Fellowship Club in Santa Barbara, they are certain to help transform this caterpillar into a butterfly.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly."  Richard Bach

"I saw a poet chase a butterfly in a meadow.  He put his net on a bench where a boy sat reading a book.  It's a misfortune that it is usually the other way around."  Karl Kraus

So it with us.  I sit next to the boy reading a book on the bench.

"Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time."  Deborah Chaskin

No comments:

Post a Comment