Saturday, September 24, 2011

Five Hours of Observation

It was only supposed to be an informal meeting with the VA representative.

Donnie decided to show up instead of having me speak on his behalf.

Donnie ended up being hysterical, manic and inarticulate.

The VA representative called in a psychiatrist to decide our fate.  Tracy thought the best decision would be for me to return to the West LA VA hospital and be admitted to the psychiatric ward for further observation.

Jeff, the psychiatrist met with Donnie and myself.  Donnie was scared and confused.  I explained our situation to the doctor and assured him that I would be able to manage both of us.

I met with Mark, the CEO of the facility, Crystle, the program director and Adam, the facility coordinator.  Donnie was too scared and hid.  He is afraid of being kicked out of this facility.

After five hours of observation and many phone calls, the decision was 3 pro and 2 con as to my staying in Santa Barbara. I will meet with a new psychiatrist at the VA Clinic in Santa Barbara this coming Tuesday and we will determine where the best facility for our continued care will be.

With a sworn promise to each of the five individuals that we would do no harm to ourselves, we were given phone numbers, permission to return to the psychiatric ward in West LA at any time, and wished to have a relaxing and peaceful weekend.  Donnie felt stupid and felt bad for scaring and taking up so much of their time, especially on a Friday.

I knew that God and my Uncle Sam truly loved and cared for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment