Saturday, September 24, 2011

Saturday in Santa Barbara

I am convinced that Donnie is a child between the ages of five and eight trapped in an old, broken down fifty-three year old body.  The strange thing is I believe Donnie created me to help make sense of his disassociative disorder, bi polar depressive, paranoid, delusions of grandeur personality.  Sometimes I find him to be so completely "complex and complicated".

Today I find him to be so simple and lovable.

Although we barely slept last night, Donnie wanted to return to the ocean.  Only minutes away from where we are staying, I felt like I was his big brother as I carried him on my back.  Donnie feels closest to God when he is near the ocean.

After a short amount of time, Donnie asked what time it was.  When I told him it was eleven am, he insisted we hurry over to the Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu Academy.  There was a Family Class at eleven and an adult class at twelve.  What interested me most was that Donnie wanted to attend the eleven o'clock class that had the children at it.  While I was watching a child who stopped participating in the class return to his mother's lap, a little light went on in my mind. As I sat outside the facility on the bench, I noticed that Donnie was doing the same thing.  He wanted to be in the class but he was afraid.

I was very interested in attending the class at noon with the adults.  Donnie was no where to be found.  Moments later, I saw that he had run off to play with the other kids.  Calling him to return to the bench, he begrudgingly complied.  Now I must figure out a way to earn money so we can attend these classes.  It would be a great way for us to healthy physical touch, exercise and discipline.

Donnie did not want to go but I insisted we go to the library.  He is looking at the fish in the aquarium while I jot some thoughts down here.  I promised him we would go and do something FUN that he wanted to do.

Saturday in Santa Barbara!

No comments:

Post a Comment