Thursday, December 6, 2012

Looking at the Man in the Mirror


There is a man at the Mental Health Facility named Jimmy.  Jimmy has been so depressed and distraught over his missing black sweatshirt hoodie.  He can not figure out whether it fell off his bike or someone stole it from him.  Not only was it his sweatshirt but the contents in the pockets that had him downward spiraling.  In the pockets, there was a bike light and a bottle of incense called Serenity that he uses for meditation.

As I listened and pondered, it became clear that I was looking at the man in the mirror. 

"Jimmy, did the fellowship club give you the sweatshirt? "

"Yes."  Jimmy replied.

"Marlin gave you the bike light, right?"

"Right."

"The incense was given to you by Anna, correct?"

"Correct."

As I asked each question, a chord rang in my heart.  I also get so attached to things.  Thinking of the throwing away most of my possessions before I moved to California still has me traumatized.

"Jimmy, instead of thinking that you lost or someone stole your things, may I make a suggestion?

"Sure!"  Jimmy said.

"The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.  Maybe consider the thought that God needed your things for a homeless person to stay warm, be able to light his path and to find some Serenity?"

"That's nice.  I really like that."  Jimmy seemed a relieved.


No comments:

Post a Comment