Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My new friend Bobby


There is a little five year old boy who I have met at the Mental Health Center.  One of the sweetest human beings I have ever known.  For confidentiality purposes, let's call him Bobby.  Bobby is a scared little boy who has been traumatized by being molested at a very young age.  He often sits by himself and rocks back and forth.  Bobby likes to play card games and I am teaching him how to play chess.

While we were playing chess today, he mentioned that he wishes that someone would just be able to hold him like he sees when he watches movies.  The bible verse, "I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who lives but Christ who lives in me!"  Galatians 2:20  came to my mind.  For anyone who has known me for any amount of time, you know this is one of my favorite scripture verses.  One year I contemplated and pondered daily for a year as to exactly how this was possible.  Today everything became crystal clear to me.

"Bobby, would you like me to give you a big "ole" bear hug?"  I asked.

Hesitantly and frightened, Bobby said, "Yes, that would be nice."

Slowly and carefully with another staff member watching me, I gave Bobby a hug.  Bobby squeezed so tight.  Actually, I was quite surprised how strong his embrace was.  After a few moments, I went to release the hug but Bobby squeezed tighter.  Bobby and I sat there for several minutes in the big "ole" bear hug" I promised.  I could feel his tears dripping on my neck.  This made me start to cry as I was beginning to understand the love of Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. JT, I have given myself the title of 'hugologist' and look forward to sharing a big bear hug with you also, so please call me. Or reply to my letter that I sent to you... or whatever. Anyhow, great to read your recent postings and encouragement. You are loved. Tim

    ReplyDelete