Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Made for a Mission



For many years, I was mad at God that He did not give me Noah's assignment.  I love animals and I do not like many people in general.  It seemed like a perfect assignment for me.  However, when I looked into the assignment in greater depth, I found that it took Noah and his three sons almost one hundred years to build the ark.  I am not a carpenter by any means.  However, Noah's assignment was to preach and implore the pagans to repent of their wicked ways.  Being hypersensitive, after one hundred years of being rejected by the pagans and having not even one soul repent, I would have felt like a complete failure.

Noah was given his assignment.  Now it is time for me to discover my assignment.  I jumped at the chance to move to Anaheim to be on staff at The Battle of the Dance.  Without much thought that I had a beautiful two story, three bedroom townhouse in a darling little community called Lisle and was semi retired while working at Chinn's 34th Street Fishery for Stan, the best boss I ever have had;  I threw it all away to move to California.  That decision caused me to be homeless and jobless. 

When things fell apart at The Battle of the Dance, I drove north 850 miles to Brownsville, Oregon to open another dinner theatre.  However, my allergies made it impossible for me to work or live there.  Oregon is the state where most grass, grain and seed are grown.  The pollen almost ended me up in the hospital.  Within a week and almost unable to breathe, I drove 850 miles south to Anaheim.

My next stab at the great unknown was to open a seafood restaurant with two other veterans I had met in West LA.  The name of the restaurant was going to be called "Mermaids!" and we had found the perfect location in Ventura.  However, when the VA went to place me in temporary housing, there was nothing available in Ventura.  The closest place was in Santa Barbara about 30 miles away.  There is a Vista bus that runs back and forth between these two cities.  With Santa Barbara as my destination, I drove my car 200 miles north to The Hospitality House on Chapala.  Within a few weeks, I would find that the seafood restaurant was a delusion of grandeur of mine and nothing more than three veterans fantasy much like "Mermaids".

However, God has brought me to Santa Barbara.  Maybe He created me with the desire to feel closest to Him when I was near the ocean to help me find my way.  No longer do I jump from one city to another.  As I wait patiently for the mission I was made for, I will tend to the homeless, unemployed and mentally ill in my neighborhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment