Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Once Upon a Time...








...and they all lived Happily Ever After.


Three thoughts.  Not wishes.  I am saving those.

First Thought.



When Donnie was a freshman in high school, he was chosen to be in the spring musical.  His school was doing "Once Upon a Mattress."  Donnie was chosen to be in the chorus.  Jan Egan was chosen to be the Lead.  She played Princess Winnifred, the part Carol Burnett played on television.  Jan Egan was so good, they invited Carol Burnett to the show.  She came.  Carol Burnett was looking for someone to play opposite on her television show.  It ended up being between Jan Egan and Vicki Lawrence.  Well, it was happily ever after for one of them.  In one of the dance numbers, Donnie was choregraphed to catch Jan when she fell backwards.  He was SO happy.  Donnie was on his way to becoming a Star.  This was his first taste of "Happily Ever After."

Second Thought.




Marianne Schell was the Wicked Queen in the musical.  She had one of the best soprano voices I have ever heard.  There has never been anything Donnie wished for more than to being a madrigal at Wheeling High School.  It was an acappella group who performed Medieval music.  The songs the traveling minstrels would sing to royalty.  Donnie was the first male sophomore ever to be chosen to be in the Madrigals.  Mr. Dobler, the music teacher, would be one of the most influential men in his life.  Again, Donnie was a STAR!  At least in his own mind. 


Third Thought.

The important thing for me to remember is that I can be the author of my own story.  I have the beginning and the end.  All that is needed now is the middle.

3 comments:

  1. John -- I think you tried to send me messages on Facebook, somehow I can't find things that people send me through Facebook.

    Please use THIS Blog -- or Text through the Phone.

    Who is your Phone service provider, and what is your account number for refilling?

    ReplyDelete