Friday, February 22, 2013

When words are many, sin is not absent

but he who holds his tongue is wise.  Proverbs 10:19

Having lived for over a half century now, I think I have finally learned this lesson.  Call me a slow learner.  The important thing is I have finally learned this lesson.

Even in my prayer life, I have learned that words are not necessary.  God knows my heart.  What I try to do now is to remain silent.  In the silence, I open my heart to the one who created me.  God knows every fiber of my being.  He knows how many hairs are on my head.  I do not even know that number.  He also knows that the number of hairs on my head are becoming less while the number of hairs on my back, in my nose and on and in my ears are increasing.  Pretty gross, I know.  However, in spite of that all, I sense that God truly loves me.

Instead of bringing a wish list as if God were a Genie in a magic lamp, what I focus on now is to listen.  Listen to God.  He has a plan for the remainder of my life.  If I sit quiet before Him, maybe I will be able to hear what His plan is.  Sometimes I sense that He has no plan for me at all.  What I believe touches God's heart is that I just want to be with Him.  God created me to be in a relationship with Him.  Truly that is God's plan.  Even when Jesus walked this earth, He said, "I call you friends."

Jesus Christ wants to be my best friend.  He awaits patiently to see if I want to be best friends with Him.  The answer in the past has not always been yes.  However, at this one moment in time, there is nothing that brings me greater Joy.  Is Jesus Christ your best friend?


1 comment:

  1. JT/Don, It's Saturday, one of the first things I check is this blog. It's good to read of your optimism, your new friends, finding your wallet, 'day by day' from Godspell, and on and one. I guess, I'd like to know that my efforts of leaving a message with 'L", which he said you picked up, or the phone messages and texts (not sure you get texts), would be answered, or that we'd have a dialogue and not what appears to be a monologue from my point of view (and I can be as selfish as you have said you can be), but seriously... when are we gonna connect! I want to put my faith into active practice and show God's love to you. Santa Barbara ain't that far...

    ReplyDelete