Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Perfect Day






The sun was bright on a warm winter day in Santa Barbara.  There was an amazing breeze that brought in the fresh ocean air.  It was almost impossible not to meditate as you could breathe in and out with each wave that the tide brought in.  The breeze seemed to be in perfect harmony as I could repeat my mantra, and feel my entire body relax.  The seagulls were soaring and floating in the air above me.  They did not seem to be too disappointed that I did not bring them bread.  The squirrels on the other hand, seemed a little annoyed as they sat up and chattered at me.  There I sat basking in how good God is to me.

"John Thomas!  There you are.  I have been looking all over for you."

"Michael Zwermerman!  It is SO good to see you."  I said.

"How are you?"  Michael asked.

"Doing great."  I said.  "How did you know where to find me."

"When I found out you were not at the Casa, I knew exactly where to find you."

Michael used to stay at the transitional living facility where I live.  He moved to Long Beach several months ago as he was recently married.  I had not seen or heard from him since he left.

"What brings you to Santa Barbara?"  I asked.

"I came here to see you.  I wanted to tell you that I am going to be a father."  His wife is 13 weeks pregnant.  Michael is a bad boy.  Handsome, young, smart and trained in mixed martial arts and street fighting.  I guarantee you, you would not want to mess with him,  Turns out Michael has decided tto turn his life around.  No more drugs and alcohol.  No more fighting and tramping around.  He wants to do right by his wife and child.  I am so proud of him.

Michael and I got something to eat and drink and we had a picnic at one of the exclusive hotels downtown.  Michael knew the Valet and there was this perfect table with two chairs and a huge green umbrella that looked over the ocean that he introduced me too.  Michael is the first person who has come to visit me in Santa Barbara.  Tim Page has tried but I have been uncomfortable to meet as the embarrassment of being homeless consumes me.  Being that Michael and I were both homeless, there is no shame.

We had a wonderful time.  A lot of the time was spent talking about his soon to be a father.  Michael and I do not agree on anything theologically but we discussed our views with open minds like two college professors.

Before Michael arrived, I had been talking to God how my biggest failure was my failure to love others.  God answered me by sending me Michael.  I love Michael.  Not in a perverse homosexual way.  I love Michael as the son I never had.  I love Michael as my brother in Christ.

There would be a number of long silences between Michael and me.

"You know, we are Really friends!"  Michael said.  "Why?  Because we can sit with each other and not have to make unnecessary or superficial conversation."

I looked at Michael.  Nodded and smiled.  We clinked our drinks.  And I said nothing.

It was The Perfect Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment