Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Duality

Elizabeth Taylor is a legend in the entertainment business.  She was the first female actress to be paid a million dollars for a film.  Remember Cleopatra?  Her life has ended here on earth.  Yet her legacy is that she left her mansion in Beverly Hills as a foundation and a home for alcohol and drug rehab.

The Kodak Theatre is the home of the Academy Awards where all the stars dripping in diamonds and wearing expensive gowns walk the red carpet like our very own version of American Royalty.  Last night I was entertained by the Downtown Project at a free Hollywood concert.

The homeless are treated as modern day lepers in our society.  Yet one of the clients named Kenny wrote one of the most touching pieces of literature I have ever read.  Like Thomas Aquinas, after reading Kenny's work, I feel that it might be best for me to set down my pen and/or step away from the laptop.

As I volunteered with an artist named Chris, I was moved to tears when I saw his life sized painting of one of his homeless friends named Wrigley.  Instead of being treated as a leper, Wrigley was painted in love, with compassion, and now is an incredible work of art.

"He who began a good work in me, will be faithful to complete it.  He will be faithful to complete it.  He who started a good work will be faithful to complete it in me!:

No comments:

Post a Comment