Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A NEW OPPORTUNITY


A New Opportunity seems to have presented itself to me!

Maybe the solution to the homeless is inside the walls of The Church of the Blessed Sacrament.

Do you see my dilemna?  Let me give you a hint..

Remember when you were a little kid and you folded your hands with your fingers on top of your knuckles?  Then we would say with our hands folded.  "Here's the church?"

"Here's the steeple."  and we would point our pinkies to the sky.

"Open the doors."  and we would look in between our thumbs as we opened the double doors.

"Where are the people?" 

Sometimes, my church is only open for one hour of the twenty four hours in a day.  As catholics, we have the joy, honor and gift of being able to celebrate the Eucharist on a daily basis.  You are looking at 300 empty pews.  The twenty or thirty of us who come to mass sit in the 10 pews in the chapel area.

Where am I going to find the volunteers to help me provide shelter for the homeless if in fact, the church is the solution to end homelessness.  I found the perfect spot.  Now I need to build a team of volunteers.
Jesus had twelve disciples for his ministry.  I think twelve volunteers will be the perfect number to start this ministry.  Here is a list of the twelve positions God needs to fill.

1.)  A Righteous Man

2.)  A Prayer Warrior

3.)  A Person with the gift of helps

4.)  A Person with the gift of healing

5.)  A Samson ( A Bouncer)

6.)  A Person with the gift of Administration

7.)  A Person with the gift of Leadership

8.)  A Person with the gift of Hospitality

9.)  A Person with the gift of Mercy

10.)  A Person with the Gift of Giving

11.)  YOU

12.)  To Be Announced

Oh Lord, hear my prayer.  You sent the animals to the ark before the flood.  Now I implore you to send me these twelve people to help me get this ministry started.

Now fold your hands with your fingers under your knuckles and repeat after me.

"We are the church."

"Here is our steeple."  Point your pinkies to the heavens.

"Open the door."  Fold your thumbs back.

"And HERE are the people!"  Now wiggle your fingers.

I was at the Crystal Cathedral years ago, when Robert Schuller asked Mother Teresa what she needed from his church and from him.  Robert Schuller was referring to money, blankets, medical supplies, etc as at the time the church was one of the most prosperous churches in America.  Mother Teresa never said a word.  She quietly held Robert Schuller's hands and looked him in the eye.  Robert Schuller for one of the first times ever was speechless.

Robert Schuller never went to India with Mother Teresa.  Neither did I.

The Crystal Cathedral is now in bankruptcy.

Now I do not need to go to India, there is plenty of work for me here in California.

Like Robert Schuller said, "Bloom where you are planted!"  I intend too.

The question is "Will YOU help me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment