Saturday, July 2, 2011

Meet My New Friend Duncan

I would like to introduce you to my new friend Duncan.

When Duncan was five years old, his father started bringing him to the local tavern.  The mother was working so this was the best way that the father could babysit and be able to drink with his friends.
When it was time for Duncan to go to sleep, he added a shot of whiskey to his bottle of water.  Duncan literally slept like a baby.  The father was free to drink with his friends.

Today Duncan has been in and out of detention centers for four years.  At the age of nineteen, he has been arrested and put in jail three times for public intoxication.  When I met him for the first time, I was afraid that the police would arrest me for being a child pedophile as I walked him over to the Social Service center at The Church of the Blessed Sacrament.

Although Duncan was starving, all he cared about was getting food for his pet Dog and pet chicken.  It reminded me of how Donnie was only concerned about Baby and Clyde.  Even as I write to you now, I just became aware of why I had become so fond of Duncan.

Dear God, how do you want me to help this poor lost little soul?  This poor child started drinking at the age of five.  Now he is an alcoholic.  Is jail and being homeless the only life you have in store for him?  Please ask Wisdom, herself, to teach me how to love and help this precious child of Yours!  Your willing servant and friend, John Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment