Friday, March 29, 2013

Moulin Rouge


While I was homeless and jobless, I was given the opportunity to attend the Culinary Arts Training (CAT) program at the Santa Barbara City College.  In my possession is a certificate which qualifies me as a chef and I also earned a five year management Serve Safe credential. 

Last night, I decided to apply and practice my trade.  To start, I made an artichoke and hearts of palm salad with fresh spring greens, toasted split almonds and petite red tomatoes drizzled with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing which I made from fresh raspberries.  To practice my baking, I rolled out crescent rolls from scratch.

For the main entrée, I made chicken cacciatore John Thomas style.  Fresh red and green peppers sliced in strips with mushrooms, onions and black olives smothered in a homemade Italian tomato sauce.  After browning and baking the chicken, I sauté the chicken which I deboned in the sauce.  After about an hour, I place the chicken on the plate with spaghetti and pour the sauce over both.  For color, I add steamed broccoli and stuffed mushrooms. 

I pop in the musical Moulin Rouge and I am transported back in time to the year 1988 when Donn went to the Moulin Rouge for the first time.  One of the best nights of his life, Donn remembers being with friends including Joyce Koenig.  Joyce Koenig had arranged for Donn to be chosen to be selected to perform on stage.  She had also arranged for the entire party to be at the head table front and center.  It was the time of his life. 

You may be wondering what Donn was asked to perform?  He was chosen to be the ventriloquist's dummy.  The ventriloquist spoke in French so he had no idea what was being said.  Donn just opened and closed his mouth whenever the ventriloquist signaled.  The audience howled and internet lingo ROFL.  Maybe the comedian was making a fool out of him but in Donn's mind, he was a STAR!

What a wonderful evening!  Some of the best food I have ever made.  Great memories of the Moulin Rouge.  A great musical to dine with.  The only thing missing was YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment