Saturday, April 6, 2013

Alternative to Violence Project


This weekend I continue with the advanced training for The Alternative to Violence Project (AVP)!
For eight hours on Saturday and eight hours on Sunday, I will be learning how to be a facilitator in my community and within the prison system.  Many homeless individuals struggle with being incarcerated at one time or another.  Having been homeless for almost two years, I understand the pain, stigma, and hopelessness that comes along with homelessness.  Many resort to violence.  Now I have the opportunity to "give back" to the many homeless individuals that crossed my path during this difficult time in my life.

In the session today, we were asked to name someone who has inspired us.  I named Mother Teresa.  She has inspired me to be more compassionate and to show mercy to the disenfranchised.  Like my friend, Tim Page, I hope to hear Jesus say to me one day, "When I was in prison, you visited me."
Some of the lessons that I am learning are to Listen and not speak; try to understand others plight rather than to judge or try to fix; and most important of all, I am learning to love with no expectation of being loved in return.  This training has been life changing for me.

1 comment:

  1. http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/06/son-of-pastor-rick-warren-commits-suicide/?hpt=hp_t2

    "Mental Illness" My ASS, this poor boy KILLED HIMSELF because of his Father's UNLIMITED UNENDING H A T R E D of what Matthew KNEW he was "inside" ( But could N E V E R ) admit to.

    And now ( Sadly ) He is in Hell -- Not for committing suicide, But as the Westboro Baptist Church will tell you: "Christ shedding his Blood" does NOT count for Fags like Me.

    And I am S U R E poor Matt heard that EVERY DAY OF HIS CURSED LIFE from his "Wonderful and Compassionate" "Parents".

    Now HE'S reaped what THEY'VE Sown.

    ALL MY Sympathy to poor Matt.

    NOT A DAMN BIT for his "Parents".

    MAYBE they can get Westboro Baptist Church to come Picket Matt's Funeral.

    ReplyDelete