Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My Homeless Dilemna


When I was rich, I never did anything for the homeless.  For some obscure reason, I believed that the homeless deserved to be in their situation.  Whether it was from drugs or alcohol or being too lazy to work, "they dug their hole and now it was their responsibility to climb their way out.

Funny how your perspective can change when the "shoe is on the other foot".  

Although I contend that being homeless and jobless was the best thing to ever happen to me.  Yes, being homeless has helped me to be more compassionate.  Yes, being jobless has taught me to be more frugal.  However, I am left with the dilemma of what I can do for the homeless.

If I were rich, I would still not be able to give the nearly 200 homeless a dollar each.  And what would that do anyway as tomorrow they would all be in need of another dollar.  There used to be 1053 homeless in Santa Barbara.  The current number has skyrocketed to 1500.  If I were rich, how would I be able to help those less fortunate in my community.

Now I am poor.  I have never been poorer.  Although I have more compassion for the homeless, I am unable to help them.  Whether rich or poor, my dilemma is I am unable to make a difference.

However, I will not let the dark cloud of doom and gloom shadow me.  When I come across someone who is homeless, I acknowledge that they are a human being.  In the past, I would look the other way or walk on the other side of the sidewalk.  For those who are hungry, I direct them to the many places in Santa Barbara that provide food.  For those who are in need of clothes, I point them to the places where they can get fresh clothes.  The designer clothes that I am wearing even as I write are all from "Care Closets"!  There was a newspaper article that listed Santa Barbara as having the best dressed homeless in California. 

If someone is mentally ill, I can invite them to join me at the Mental Wellness Center.  We would be able to have lunch together.  If they were interested, they would be able to heck out any of the support groups.  Maybe they would like to use the art room, play a game in the recreation room.  If they have musical talent, they could use the music room.  Maybe they would prefer to check their email or Facebook in the computer room.  The important thing is that I would want them to feel welcomed, invited and loved.

For those who need shelter, I am happy to inform the individual of wonderful places they can sleep.  I let them know that I was once homeless and that the staff treated me with dignity and respect.  Although homeless, they gave me a place to call "HOME"!

For those who want cigarettes, they are on their own.  Although the number one question I am asked is, "Do you have a cigarette?", I refuse to aid an unfortunate soul by helping him ruin his health and increasing his chances to die from cancer.  By not providing a cigarette, I truly am indeed helping the individual.

That is how I am trying to make a difference today.  My prayer is that God will enlighten me of other ways that I might help my unfortunate brothers and sisters.  If you know of other ways of helping, please feel free to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment