Thursday, May 26, 2011

Feed the Birds meets Jesus feeds the 5000


It was Clyde's turn for me to take him to Venice Beach.  We were going to be "lounge lizards" together as we tried to figure out what God wants me to do about my being homeless and jobless.

First, let me give you God's answer about my being homeless.  I believe it is what God wants me to experience on this part of my journey.  Sue Molenda, Tim Page and Jennifer Zoller Hulke have all offered me to be able to stay at their place.  I choose to live on Venice Beach.  How can I fully understand the plight of the homeless if I do not live amongst them?  I feel closest to God when I am near the ocean.  What better way for me to draw nearer to God so that I can truly find out if writing and producing a documentary on the homeless is part of His plan.  People have already mentioned to me about my winning a Pulitzer Prize or an Oscar.  I do not want to fall into the temptations that Donnie Harbeck only dreams about. 

Second, is very much connected with the first.  Being jobless.  If I am to write and produce this documentary, I have tons of work ahead for me.  Here is case in point.  I worked for five years at a job I hated to pay over $70,000 dollars for rent for a townhouse in a state I hated living in.  Where did that job or that home get me.  Exactly.  Jobless and Homeless.

Now I live in my favorite place in the country and I am free to pursue God's work or A Dream of Donnie Harbeck.  Cheryl Pierce used to line up two sheets of paper.  She would tell me sometimes God's will (being one sheet of paper) and Your will (being the other sheet of paper) can line up exactly in sync, one on top of the other.  I pray and hope this is the case.  Otherwise, I shall throw this piece of paper away and start with a fresh new piece.

Here is the miracle of the day for me!

There was a small film crew on Venice Beach.  Right next to me.  Clyde and I were there first.  They built this tent set up for a crew of only 9 people.  3 security guards, 2 beautiful models, a camera man, an assistant, a director and a producer.  I asked them if they needed any extra help.  They said no.  I looked up to the heavens and said, "Thanks for closing another door for me, God!"

Returning back to Clyde, who I had left under my black sweatshit.  Clyde loves to use my sweatshirt as a cave.  I also think he is afraid of being seagull food.  He would never admit that though.  The two of us, just laid out in the sun.  Then the thought occured to me.  "Ask them when they are finished, if there is any food left, would you be able to have it?"  After wrestling in the sand over the idea with God about it.  I lost.  I ate my pride and asked.  The security guard said he would ask the producer and if he said, "Yes", the leftovers would be mine.

The shoot ended.  The security guard said, "That's the guy who asked." as he pointed to me.  The producer said whatever you want is yours.  Mind you, this was a shoot for nine.  These kind people gave me an unopened Vegetable tray with Peppercorn Ranch Dip, 3/4 of a tray of turkey and swiss rollups, and a half a tray of roast beef,turkey and swiss on croissants.  They also gave me the rest of a fruit tray.

God gave me more food than I would be able to eat in a week.

A Seagull flew over me, Clyde crawled completely under my black sweat shirt.  His shadow was much larger than the bird.  I decided to make Donnie happy by letting him dream about "Feeding the Birds" from Mary Poppins.  Not only as I started to feed the seagull, a swarm of other seagulls came by as well as a bunch of pigeons for Donnie's pleasure.  After feeding the seagulls and pigeons, I decided that my mission was to feed the homeless not the birds.  I walked away with the huge tray of turkey and swiss rollups to feed the homeless.  Leaving the other three trays, my black sweat shirt and Clyde unattended.

Big mistake, HUGE!  I was SO afraid for Clyde's life.  As I was only ten or twenty feet away, hundreds of seagulls flew out of the air and swarmed my area.  I was certain Clyde had become lunch for this mob of birds.  As I ran back, to the amuzement of many on the beach, the mob of birds like a scene from the Alfred Hitchcock movie did not fly away.  They just moved back a few feet like a bunch of vultures.  Thank God.  Clyde was safe under my black sweat shirt.  He is much smarter than I gave him credit for.  However, the tray of roast beef,turkey and swiss croissants was entirely gone.  The film crew laughed.  "A bunch of vultures they are!" the security guard chided.

I picked up everything and headed towards the homeless.  Clyde hugged to me like He has never held onto me before.  Jesus may have fed 5000 but I fed all the homeless on Venice Beach today.  As I walked by each and every homeless person, too many to number, some were not hungry, some had not eaten for a week and I offered them two sandwiches.  The miracle is that I never ran out.  Even went back and offered thirds and fourths to some. 

May God bless THIS film crew that shared with me and the homeless today!
Today the church was this film crew and me!

I thank God for the job He has given me to do!

My hope and prayer is that you will join me in this work!

No comments:

Post a Comment