Friday, May 27, 2011

Peter Complex

This morning as the sun was coming up over the ocean, I sat warm and cozy under my sleeping bag as I watched the surfers.  Often I wonder if surfers suffer from what I  have termed as Peter Complex.  When Peter saw Jesus walking on the water, Peter jumped out of the boat and walked on the water as he went to greet Jesus.  Only when he took his eyes off of Jesus and focused on the waves did he begin to sink. 

Surfers are trying to do the same thing.  They are trying to walk on top of the water.  The difference is they are not focused on Jesus, they are focused on the wave.  These seal like swimmers dressed in their wet suits confusing sharks to believe they are fish bait are trying to ride the waves.

Often I have wondered why I have never heard of any one else walking on water.  No other disciple got out of the boat to go and greet Jesus.  They were terrified of the storm.  Peter tried but he lost his focus but Jesus rescued him.  I wonder if I saw Jesus walking on the ocean, if I would run on top of the water to greet him?  Or would I stay safe, warm and cozy under my sleeping bag and just wait for Jesus to come to shore.

He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it.  I feel closest to God when I am near the ocean.  The good news is that I am on the ocean now looking for Jesus to direct and guide me on the path I am to take in order to serve Him and bring Him glory.  However, maybe if I did see Jesus walking on the ocean, I hope I have the faith to not focus on the waves but to keep my eyes upon Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment