Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Coney Dogs



My first job was at Dog and Suds.  Do you remember those?  Are there any left?  They were a 1950's style restaurant were you pulled up and they had car hops on roller skates who would come and take your order and then deliver your food and hang the tray on your window.  You could eat inside the restaurant but the FUN was having the car hops come to your window.  This was a big teenage hang out.

Being that I was underage, I was paid $1.35 an hour.  Minimum wage was $1.50.

Yes, I am old.

I worked for a woman who I considered to be the wicked old woman from Hansel and Gretel.  Many times I wanted to push her into the oven.  If you made a mistake, she took the money out of your paycheck.  For instance, if someone ordered a coney dog without onions and I put onions on the bun, I just bought myself a coney dog.

Needless to say, I ended up eating a lot of coney dogs.  However, I love coney dogs.  This past week I saw an ad on a side of a can of chili at the 99 cent store.  The can of chili was without beans and had a picture of the chili and a picture of a hotdog in a bun.  Onions optional.  I had learned that lesson.
For four dollars, I bought a can of chili with no beans, a package of hotdogs, a package of hotdog buns and a bag of pre cut onions.

So for a dollar a day, I had four meals.

The secret to making a great coney dog is too steam the bun.  Using cheese or nacho cheese can be a good idea too.

When was the last time you had a coney dog?

No comments:

Post a Comment