Monday, May 27, 2013

Ode to Uncle Floyd


When I was just a youngster
   My Grandpa put me on his knee
He told me all about you
   How you were killed oversea

Others tell me that I look like you
   "Looks like Floyd" they shout with glee
Your death broke my Grandpa's heart
   His oldest gone, he turned to beer and whiskey

When we go to "The Garden" to visit you
   You are buried under that tree
In your memory they planted it
   A reminder of your life to keep us free

As I gaze into the mirror
   I wonder who I see
Is that my Uncle Floyd
   who fought for you and me?

I love you Uncle Floyd.  Please say hello to Grandpa.  It is nice to see that he does not have a broken heart anymore.

Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Floyd? Please say Hello to Grandma for me. Uncle Richard, Aunty Mar, Aunty Gwen and Uncle Wayne too Tell my Godfather Uncle Eddie that I love him so much. Please give everyone a big kiss and hug. Thanks

    ReplyDelete