Monday, May 20, 2013

Restoring Broken Relatoonships

Today marks the half way point on the purpose driven life.  If you are still taking this journey with me, thanks for sticking by my side.  If you are just joining, welcome.

Several days ago I called Amy Rosenbaum.  She is a high school friend who used to call me "Little Donnie Harbeck"  I still have her picture in an old wallet of mine.  She wrote: "Please never change.  I love you just the way you are.  Your friend, Amy."  She is a hospice minister in LA.  When I was jobless, homeless, and needing open heart surgery, she found it difficult to talk to me because she felt helpless to help me in my situation.  I did not want to bother her for fear of making her depressed.  She was my person to contact in case of emergency when I had my surgery.  LA is right next to Marina Del Ray.

Now that my situation has improved greatly, I called Amy to let her know that I missed her and hope she was doing well.  She called me back a couple of hours ago and we had a wonderful conversation.  When we were getting ready to end the conversation, Amy said, "Is there anything that I can do to help you right now?"

I said, "Funny that you should ask.  Feel free to say "No" but the moving company insists on a credit card for the deposit, they will not take a cashier's check or money order.  If you could call them and make the deposit, I will mail you the money right away."

Without hesitation, Amy said, "I would love to, what is the moving company's phone number?"

Amy is a perfectly timed gift from God.  I had just ended my conversation with David at the moving company;  completely stressed and filled with anxiety when she called.

Before Amy had called me and after I had spoken with David, I called Kelly Williams and told her that I was totally freaking out.  "This was too much for me to handle."  I babbled on her voicemail like an old dying man.  We had just restored the friendship that I thought was broken the other day when Kelly had not returned my phone call.  Kelly had said, I love you so much ~ rest assured that our relationship can never be broken."  Those words made me cry.  Tears of Joy not sadness.

Kelly called me back as soon as she finished work.  "How are you Sweetie?"  Poor Kelly had to listen to me babble about all that I was going through.  However, Kelly said, "I am SO proud of you!     Look how good you are doing."

Amy and Kelly are priceless gems in my life.  God knew that there was no way that I would have been able to make it through the day without them.  To think Amy is a friend of thirty years and Kelly is a friend of twenty years.

"I thank God when I think of you."


No comments:

Post a Comment