Friday, May 24, 2013

Transformed by Truth



One truth is that we were all created in the image of God.

Americans have a tendency to label people as the best and worst dressed.  "Who wore it best?"  People magazine has "The Most Beautiful Woman and the Sexiest Man" on their front cover.  Need I go on.  I think you get the idea.

Well, I have nibbled on those lies hook, line and sinker.  Not nibble.  Devoured.  God did not walk around and declare that this person shall be beautiful.  Although, I may beg to differ as all my friends are gorgeous.  Nor did God go around and hit some people with the "ugly stick"!

The Bible says "Do not judge, lest you be judged."  At this very moment, I JUST had a revelation.  For years, I have gone around and judged people as beautiful (my friends and family) and others as ugly (usually my enemies).  "U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi, you ugly, absolutely UGLY" would be a cheer I would chant."   The revelation is this:  As I have judged, I have also judged myself.

As I have judged, I have also judged myself.

People Magazine has said that Brad Pitt is The Sexiest Man Alive.  The next year they will say that Johnny Depp is.  One year was George Clooney.  I wonder if these guys feel bad that they no longer are the sexiest man alive.  Do I need to remind of you of the Wicked Witch from Snow White and the magic mirror?  Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?

No wonder I have had low self esteem.  I do not look like Brad, Johnny or George.  It is I who has judged myself as ugly.  Not God.  Not People Magazine.  Not my friends or enemies.

Today I am being transformed by the truth that God created me in His image and called me good.  When I think of it, if I declare myself less than attractive, is that not an insult to God?  Now that is ugly.  Absolutely Ugly.

You and I are Beautiful!

1 comment: