Sunday, May 26, 2013

Life is not always a bowl of cherries sometimes you get the pits


As I was walking through Farmer's Market, I could not believe how many vendors were selling cherries.  This is the first harvest of cherries in Santa Barbara so each vendor is giving samples of their wares, hoping you will buy.  You know me.  I love "free stuff"!  From booth to booth, I would be given another cherry from another vendor.  Some cherries were black.  Others ruby red.  To my surprise, some were even yellow.  Some a little sour.  Some like "the sweet nectar of the Roman and Greek gods.  You can imagine what is happening?  My mouth is filling up with pits.

To me, I no longer saw these as pits but as seeds.

Each seed has the opportunity to become a tree.  It takes a long time for a seed to become a tree.  Usually 5-7 years.  How many cherries does one tree produce?  Have no idea.  Hundreds?  Thousands?  I googled it but could not find the answer.  As the tree matures, the fruit it produces is sweeter than the year before.

As I spit out the 17 pits that were in my mouth.  Yes.  I counted them.  Pretty gross?  I know.  However, the revelation that I had was not that I had spit out 17 pits but missing the opportunity to planting 17 trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment