Thursday, May 23, 2013

No Better Time to Grow Up than the Present



Everyday I think THAT day is the most important for me.  However, I felt like Rick Warren was writing specifically about me today.  I hold on to the title that I am a child of God.  However, there is a huge difference from being child-like and childish.  Unfortunately for me, the latter rings true.  It is time for me to grow up.

If you garden like I do, sometimes you plant a flower from a seed.  You water the seed.  You pull out the weeds around the seed.  You make sure that it gets enough sun but not too much.  You fertilize the soil to make sure the plant gets all the nutrients it needs to grow.  The seed is not meant to stay a seed.  It is meant to become a plant and then bloom the particular flower that you planted.

That is the plan God has for you and me.  Have you ever heard "the fruits of the Spirit?"  Have you ever heard humans being referred to as "the branches", Jesus Christ being, "the vine", and God the Father as "the Gardener"?

"If you remain in me, I will remain in you.  Apart from me you can do nothing."

God has been very patient with me but it is time for me to grow up.  You expect a two year old to act like a two year old.  When a child age five acts like a five year old, no one notices.  However, when a fifty-five year old man behaves like he is five, it really is very pathetic.

Imagine watering, weeding, tending, and fertilizing a seed for fifty years?   I would be frustrated after a few months with no appearance of the plant.  What a wonderful God to show me compassion and unbelievable patience for half a century.  Many friends and family have given up on me as I would with a seed that never grew up.  However, if you are one of the ones reading this blog, thank you for not giving up on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment